Thursday 24 March 2011

Goddess of Legend by P.C. Cast

CONS of the house being too warm
1. Can't sleep
2. An inexplicable urge to have a great big bowl of honey nut corn flakes at 1.15 in the morning

PROS of the house being too warm
Gets lots of reading done - which can never be a bad thing unless you have to be up for work in the morning and instead of being fast asleep in the land of nod you are writing a book review at nearly 1.30am.

On with the book.

I love books based in Camelot and around King Arthur and I can't help but feel justifiably annoyed that the film world is lacking in this area.

So, in this book we have it all. Lancelot, Arthur, Guinevere, the Lady of the Lake, Merlin and Isabel our 21st century heroine who is whisked back in time.

All in all I enjoyed this book. There were some sections where the fan fiction vibes were a bit too strong for me but I could get past them and I still enjoyed the story.

One thing though mainly bugged me - Isabel describes Guinevere as the kind of person that you would really love to hate if she wasn't so nice but I had no difficulty disliking her (up until the end anyway). She was so hypocritical I wanted to reach through the pages and slap some sense into her. It is alright for her to cheat on her husband with Lancelot but how dare Arthur find love with someone else. Uh no! Can anyone else say hypocrite. But I did come to like her by the end when she grew up a little bit and basically got over herself.

The Lady of the Lake and Merlin love story sub plot added a pretty cool slant to things to. Merlin, seeing how things are going to go down hill because of the Lancelot-Guinevere-Arthur triangle puts himself into a magical sleep so that he doesn't have to watch the people he loves being destroyed. This is all well and good. But then he leaved behind the Lady of the Lake (Water Goddess) who loves him and vows that she will set things right so that he will come back to her. Awwww ain't that just lovely?

Anyway, that's were Isabel comes in, who gets whisked into the mix when she crashes her car into a lake and is dying and fits the criteria of the spell that the Water Goddess had cast to get another woman to enter the picture so that the Lancelot-Guinevere-Arthur triangle is no longer a triangle.

And so the story begins.

I have only read one other book by P.C. Cast and that was 'Divine by Mistake' and I have to admit that I like her style of story. At least the 2 that I have read so far anyway. Having the story focused on an older women who has lived her life and has made mistakes and all that jazz is refreshing and makes a hugely nice change from YA.

One thing that kind of caught me was when someone from Camelot mentioned 'making a pass'. Now I could be wrong but I didn't think they would talk like that in ye olde Camelot...But I could be wrong?

Arthur's insecurities as he and Isabel enter their relationship was pretty darn cute - as having Guinevere cheat on him had left him with some doubts. I just thought this was a nice touch.

The supporting characters were fun and colourful and really helped to flesh out the story with their actions.

I have the next 2 in the Goddess Summoning series on my shelf and I can't wait to read them.

Its a toss up for the stars. Not quite 4 I think...Soooo 3.5 out of 5 it is.

Now I had better go to sleep...zzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!