Tuesday 28 June 2011

The Childe by C.A. Kunz

Cat Colvin is pretty much your typical run-of-the-mill teenager growing up in the small port town of Astoria. Sure, she is taller than average, has a mane of fiery red hair that is impossible to tame, is left handed, and has one eye that is sky blue and one that is amber, but that is where the differences end . . . unless you include the minor detail of her slow metamorphosis into the Childe. 

We all know how difficult high school can be, and for Cat Colvin it is no different. Except for the fact she has the daunting task of trying to hide her budding Childe traits as they begin to reveal themselves at the most inopportune times. 

This first book in this coming of age fantasy series follows Cat's life through the twists and turns toward finding out what and who she really is. Come and take the plunge with Cat into a world filled with biting humor, darkness, and yes, a few life lessons as well.


This is another read from an independent author and it was brilliant! I usually stay away from vampire novels because a. they aren’t really my thing (ducks for cover) and b. I’m twisted and totally don’t want to be reading what everyone else is. But this was such a fun read.
   
Every single character was so quirky and had their own little personality traits that made them great to read and they added so much colour to the book. The friendship and camaraderie between Cat and her group of friends was great and so real. Even down to the little hits and punches that one of the girls was constantly giving the only guy in the group.  

Cat’s parents had a wonderful relationship and I could have quite happily read a whole book just based around them. They are a very physical couple, kissing and laughing with each other, and as there are so many YA books were the focus seems to be parents splitting up I loved this aspect of the book – I would love parents like that.

In some books it seems to me like the characters reaction to things are forced and only there because the author thinks that is how they should act when the character they have built would go about something totally different and that did not happen in this book. All the character remained constant and true to themselves.

Ok, I suppose I had better move onto the story itself guys.

This book is a tease! But it is such a good tease, well…it was for me anyway because I can’t wait to get my hands on the next one.  It builds up, dropping hints, ideas and crazy teasers but so darn good!

To some this book may seem a little slow but I LOVED that about it. Everything about it was about building the story and I think that will make reading the next instalment all the more enjoyable and worthwhile.

Some random trivia-
And Cat is a red head! Woohoo, red heads rule (guess what colour hair I have).
My full name Alexandria is in this book!!! Do you guys know that I have only read 2 books that have my name in it?
Cat gets visits from a cat that isn’t hers. ME TOO!! My neighbour’s cat comes for regular visits and hugs.
This is a book that I wish I had the actual book of instead of the e-book. It would have pride of place on my favourite’s shelf.
And the front cover is sooo pretty…

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex! Great review :) I love your extra reasons for liking this book, red haired character and someone named Alexandria. So much fun. Like you I tend to steer away from too much vampire stuff (except vampire academy) but this sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of her parents - I totally get you that parents in YA are usually duds, and I love reading about healthy parents-kids relationships.

    And I also don't like vamp stories. :P

    Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lan and Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings)

    waves at other non-vampire novel fans (does that even make sense? you know what I mean)

    Lan - Yes woohoo. red hair rules! Makes me feel vindicated in some way after being called Ginger all my school life. hehe.

    Alex - Healthy relationships are brilliant in books when they are written well, when they aren't they fall under the un-healthy category I think...But the parents here were so much fun to read about. I wanted to hug them both. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!