Tuesday 16 August 2011

Jinx by Meg Cabot



It's not easy being Jinx.
Jean Honeychurch hates her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just . . . Jean). What's worse? Her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes even to New York City, where Jinx has moved to get away from the huge mess she caused in her small hometown. Her aunt and uncle welcome her to their Manhattan town house, but her beautiful cousin Tory isn't so thrilled. . . .
In fact, Tory is hiding a dangerous secret one that could put them all in danger. Soon Jinx realizes it isn't just bad luck she's been running from . . . and that the curse she has lived under since the day she was born may be the only thing that can save her life.



I just realised that I read this a wee while ago and never reviewed *tut tut, bad me* so here is a quick post now. Or at least I don’t think I did…anyway I’ll get on with it.

This was an enjoyable enough read but sits at a solid 3 stars for me.

Jean – Jinx – was an OK character but I found her to be a bit of a drip at some points and the whole story happened a little too quickly for me – clocking in at about a month. I know that is how it is in YA but I don’t see what is wrong with a little bit of relationship building before the couple in question are there sucking each other’s face off and pledging there undying love to each other.

And then we have the totally crazy, out of her mind 'come-here-while-I-sacrifice-you' cousin who was a right witch and for some reason Jinx didn't see right through her - the book almost went flying across the room at that point. 

There were the laugh out loud moments in the good old Meg Cabot fashion but it just missed the mark for me. There were bits that just seemed so vague, nothing was concrete…

I don’t know I can’t really nail what I didn’t like. It was good but not brilliant. 


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I agree with your review 100%!
    While I found this book to be enjoyable, it just wasn't my cup of tea, to be polite about it.
    At times (okay. MOST of the time) I was bored with the story and found that it lacked any dept, and I just didn't find any of the characters likeable. The book had it's moments, and like you said, some true Cabot factors, but I felt this was NOT one of her best. Almost like it was an, "I have to write another book, so why not this?" kind of thing. I gave it three stars as well. :)
    http://909reviews.blogspot.com
    -Angel

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!