Wednesday 12 October 2011

Reasons Why Emoticon... The Twilight Formula

This post isn’t meant to have a go at Twilight. Just to say how stories seems eerily familiar.

So guys, have you noticed this? Just how many books seem to hit the plot points of Twilight. Sure the fleshing out is different but the skeleton is the same.

Girl has to leave home
Girl has to start all over again
Girl starts at a new school – more often than not in the middle of the school year
Girl ends up in love triangle (yeah, remember them!)
The two guys are actually really nice, but thanks to deep seated prejudices they view each other as the devil incarnate.
‘Bad guy’ is actually lovely and supportive.
‘Good guy’ is a bit of a pain and I want to hit him most of the book.

And the list goes on and on, but it is late and my brain is going at the pace of a snail with a broken leg.

Book I was thinking about while writing this –
Need (Book 1 of the Need Pixie books) – I really liked this book actually but it is similar. Only we have blood drinking pixies instead. COOL right…
(My review is here)

There are others but this as the main one that was jumping about in my head while writing.

So this is another reason why a book may get a Emoticon

That is not to say that all novels that have a similar layout to Twilight get an instant yuck from me…just some.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like the twilight formula either. I do think some people might be able to pull it off, but for the most part it's not all that good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The twilight formula isn't ALL bad and some authors do it brilliantly but I just roll my eyes as soon as a book starts going in that direction. You can just see a publisher rubbing their hands together in glee when a book like that comes in...

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!