Monday 6 February 2012

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

a christmas carol

I can now officially say that I have read and enjoyed A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens – you guys have no idea how warm and fuzzy that makes me inside. I have been wanting  - well obviously not enough as it took me so long to get round too – to read this book for AGES. I have tried to read it once before but it was a collection, you know, A Christmas Carol and other Christmas Stories, that kind of thing. And the shallow person that I am didn’t like reading from this whopping hardback just for one 100 pages story.

Moving on Smile

I have only ever seen adaptations of the book, from Muppets to Jean-Luke Picard Scrooge, so I didn’t know what to expect from the source material.

I tried to go in with no preconceived notions. but that didn’t work.

In fact, I don’t remember ever having so much fin reading a book before. I was smiling almost all the way through it and read the majority of it out loud to myself.

Why?

Because I ended up singing direct lines that had been taken from the book and put into the various musicals. That’s why! Winking smile 

 

marley and marley

 Note“captive, bound, and double-ironed”Note

 

 

 

And also it is a smashing book for reading aloud I think. Even if it is only to yourself.

 

I have never read a ghost story – that I can remember anyway. I know when I was in primary school one of my teachers read us The Canterville Ghost…

But anyway, if I was to have any kind of introduction to a good old ‘ghost story’ I am glad that this was it. It was dark and gothicy and definitely had a haunted air all the way through it.

As this is one of the best known stories out there I won’t go into the story etc, but if you, like me, have been one of those people who have watched a film version and after thought ‘I wonder what the book is like?’ please give it a read. I think you will find it worth your while.

 

LOVED IT!

 

*skips away singing*

NoteYou’re doomed Scrooges, doomed for all time…Note

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!