Monday 30 April 2012

Review - Virals by Kathy Reichs

]VIRALS
Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.
As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.
Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They areVirals.

(DESCRIPTION FROM GOODREADS)
I enjoyed this – which in all honesty did actually surprise me. I have tried to read Kathy Reichs  in the past as I loved the Bones series on TV so much but I didn’t really get al that far in the books. I was right in the middles on my fantasy faze so maybe trying to get into crime wasn’t the best idea.
Moving on.
I did find it a bit of a slog for the first 150 or so pages as it is all building up at that point and nothing much seems to be happening, I was seriously considering giving up and calling it a day but my friend was all but super-gluing it to my hands so I persevered and thank you sweetie for making me as it has launched me into a crime fiction spree.
But onto the book.
Tory was a fun character to view the story through. She is head strong and independent – the complete opposite of what I was like at her age so it was pretty liberating reading through her. 
All of the kids didn’t act in the irritating, petty way that some teens do in books (the kind that make me want to launch the book across the room – or into orbit) They were all very mature when needed, while still holding onto their teeni-ness. And the camaraderie and and closeness between them was lovely. I liked how Tory was the only girl in the group – added a fun element to things. They genuinely care about each other and do their best to support each other.
Even though the kids were not teeth grindingly irritating it is obvious that this story only exists because of the sheer dimness and incompetency of the adults around. Like you wouldn’t notice your kid is sneaking out night after night. Seriously not one of the parents notices something was up? They are meant to me geniuses!
Anyhoo.
This was a fun read once I got into it. There was a few things that bugged me but on the whole, great.  I’ll be reading book 2 ASAP.
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!