Monday 17 September 2012

All Things Austen - Janey DVDS

As this is Jane Austen free-for-all week I could not neglect to mention the films/programs that I am aware of that are all about the lady herself. 

I give you. 

The Janey DVDs (which I have watched and thought were both really good in their own ways BTW)




This drama depicts a passionate and emotional chapter of Jane Austen’s romantic life, inspired by the great writer’s own novels, letters and diaries.
As Jane Austen approaches her 40s, her success as a writer is assured and her witty and sharply observed romantic novels are widely admired. To her niece, Fanny Knight – a young, pretty girl desperate to fall in love – Jane is a favourite aunt who offers the wisdom and knowledge to help her in her own search for a happy marriage.
Yet, when asked by Fanny to help her vet potential husbands, Jane's usual confident composure is threatened. Surely the woman so capable of writing love on the page must have experienced love herself, so why did she never marry?
Protected by her wit, Jane has presented a front as dazzling as many of her novels' young heroines, but as she reflects on her own romantic encounters and affairs, we are drawn into the passions, suitors and choices of her life – the cruel flirting, the proposals spurned and the love that seemed to arrive too late.
As she recalls missed opportunities, the doubts arise. Did she make the right choice for herself and her family? Could the great romantic expert have been mistaken? And, could her principles about love and marriage possibly have been ill-judged?

I really enjoyed this. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be which at first I was a little disappointed by but by the end I loved it. It isn't one of those DVDs that I could watch over and over again but it is definitely one to bring out of hiding and snuggle up to with a bar of chocolate and a cup of tea. 




I couldn't find and synopsis that didn't go into crazy detail so I shall just say that this is a film that focuses mainly on the early years of Jane Austen.

Okaaaaay, so between the two Miss Austen Regrets is my favourite. I just couldn't quite gel with this one at all for some reason. And I think that it may be because it came across like Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. It is entertaining but I just couldn't ... get into it in the same way that I could Miss Austen Regrets. 

Have any of you guys seen these? I would love to know what you though of them :)



Post Signature

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean about Becoming Jane, I saw it once and never again, I think I'm gonna try to see Miss Austen Regrets, I haven't seen it yet but I do like the actress (I think she was in Dollhouse? )

    'nways ;) thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!