Monday 11 March 2013

Dear Dork (Dork Diaries Bk #5) by Rachel Renee Russell



Nikki Maxwell develops a sudden interest in student journalism that may or may not (okay, definitely does) have to do with the fact that mean girl Mackenzie has started writing a gossip column. And there just might be some juicy info involving Nikki's crush, Brandon, that Nikki doesn't want Mackenzie reporting to the world. So Nikki joins the school newspaper staff--and ends up as an advice columnist! It's fun at first, answering other kids' letters. But when Miss Know-It-All's inbox is suddenly overflowing with pleas for guidance, Nikki feels in need of some help herself. Fortunately she has BFFs Chloe and Zoey on her side--and at her keyboard!
(Image and Description from Goodreads)


Umm…to say that I bought this book a few days after it came out – because I loooove the series – it has taken me almost 4 months to finish reading it. Yeah…

Thumbs Up
The artwork is just as amazing as ever. The pictures work as brilliantly as they always have at portraying what is going on in Nikki’s head.

Thumbs Down
Nikki’s immature attitude to thing started to grate.

A prime example of this is her lying to her father about where he is to pick her up from a party. Why? Because she doesn’t want anyone to see her being picked up in his works van – because he is an exterminator it has a giant bug on the top. So she writes down the wrong house number. This would have been fine but the house number doesn’t even exist on the street she is on. But she lets her dad keep thinking that it is HIS fault that he got the address all screwed up.

I could have slapped her!

And then there is the whole drama that was going on through the book where she thinks that she is going to be thrown out of school. Blah, blah, blah. Drama that (by the way) she brought on herself.

I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough about what was happening to her.

Final Thoughts
I just didn’t like this book as much as I have the others.

I was really disappointed in it, which made me kind-a sad as this is a series I have grabbed since the first book. I was loving the series so I don’t know what magic was missing from this one but I just didn’t care a fig abut Nikki. I didn’t care if she was expelled (actually I think she would have deserved to face some kind of consequences), it just didn’t interest me.

I am really hoping that the next book will do the trick when it comes out in the summer. 



Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!