Tuesday 6 January 2015

Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden #1) by Charlaine Harris

Real Murders is a crime club. A great opportunity for the people of Lawrenceton to get together, drink wine, eat chocolate and talk at length about grisly killings. It's a strange but harmless pastime. That is, until the murders begin...
One night, librarian Aurora 'Roe' Teagarden finds a dead body. Killed in a manner eerily similar to a famous case they were about to discuss. And as more brutal copycat crimes follow, Roe must find the perpetrator. Quickly. Before she becomes the next suspect...or the next victim. 

A librarian solving mysteries. Talk about a dream come true.

Thumbs Up!
 The idea of this book is brilliant and hit all the marks for me. A book dedicated to real crimes (1), with a librarian (2). And then the bodies start to pile up (3,4 etc).

The flow of this book was great. There were moments of down time when the action was dimmed a bit but I ddidn'tfeel like I had to rush through these bits to get back to the who-dun-it. Then there are the deaths. Although it is obvious from what is mentioned that the murders are pretty gory they aren't gone into with a great deal of detail. I liked that. There were also plenty of supporting characters to shed suspicion on… A whole book club worth.

Thumbs Down!
 I am not sure how I feel about the heroine yet. The novel is told in first person but everything she tells us or thinks seems to be surface stuff with no depth. There was a romantic sub-plot of will she chose the policeman or the author which I could have happily left.

All in All!
This was an enjoyable mystery. I really hope I can get to like Aurora more in the next few books.

Ps. (not to brag or anything) I totally guessed who did it!



Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!