Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
(Book cover and synopsis from goodreads.com)

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.


"I tried to make a few notes, but we shall have to go over it all again together some time, if I am to write it up. There are whole chapters of stuff before ever you got here!"

That about sums up the first half of this books. I spent most of the book wanting to press the fast-forward button and rolling my eyes. I mean, hello! The overlord of all evil is after you, but I tell you what, lets hand around for a while (months!) before we leave, and lets not forget to get a cup of tea too...

WHAT!

The pages of songs and poems grated on me a bit too, although I do appreciate that some of them worked wonderfully as info-dumping sessions in disguise.  

So far I am failing to see the attraction of these book, but we'll see how it goes. 


Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!