Wednesday 18 February 2015

Bleak House by Charles Dickens Part #6

12865686
SPOILERS FOR CHAPTERS 17-19
One of the things I love so far about this book is that it doesn't seem to matter how far removed characters are from one another something will happen for them to meet. And this is what happens in this section.

Two narratives clash in a way when Mr Jarndyce is visiting an old friend (Mr Boythorn) who is neighbours with Sir Leicester Dedlock. So finally Esther and company meet Lady Dedlock – on a side note they also meet her slightly nutty French maid.

Some things happen during this meeting and before it that start the gears whirling. Why does Esther feel like she is looking in a mirror when she sees Lady D in church? And why when Lady D speaks does Ada think it is Esther? It is at this point that I really wish I was coming to this book with no knowledge of the story.

I really like Mr Boythorn. He is a loud, blustery type but his heart is in the right place and he is a gentleman when it counts.

Other events


Mr Skimpole and Richard continue to get on my nerves. Mr Jarndyce and Esther have a chat about her past and Esther gets a bunch of flowers. 


Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!